[Foundation-l] Sue Gardner, Erik Möller , William Pietri: Where is FlaggedRevisions?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Mar 1 06:51:54 UTC 2010

On 02/28/2010 10:24 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 28 February 2010 22:17, Brian J Mingus<Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>  wrote:
>
>> I run a mediawiki farm with mediawiki trunk installed. I've got the process
>> of setting up new wikis scripted and can set one up in 30 seconds. If you
>> just need a place to install a wiki you should be able to find one no
>> problem. Also, WMF has a whack of servers. You should have absolutely no
>> problem getting one in short order. Particularly for a "high priority"
>> project. My 2 cents.
>>
> The problem isn't getting a wiki running, it's getting a wiki running
> in a way comparable to English Wikipedia, which is far from a default
> Mediawiki install. Given that these are the people that actually keep
> the enwiki servers running, I wouldn't expect it to take them this
> long, though...

Yes. I was also expecting it to be easy. Heck, we had flaggedrevs.labs
up already, so how hard could an update be? Which is why in the blog
post I was sunny about having something visible soon.

But for abstruse reasons, not all of which I understand personally, it
turned out that it was not easy. It sounds like the reasons are mainly
historical, though. Regardless, I have full faith that the people
keeping the servers running are prioritizing this work highly, although
-- correctly -- not as highly as keeping the existing stuff from blowing
up. I really want FlaggedRevs deployed on enwiki, but I also want there
to be an enwiki to deploy to.

Sleep beckons, so I'm going to give up on this thread for the night, and
the next couple of days are heavily booked. But if people have more
questions, please do post them; if nobody else gets to them first, I will.

And in the future people want to know about something, just drop me a
note off list and say, "Hey, William! I was wondering about X, and I'd
bet other people are too." I'm entirely happy to keep people apprised on
pretty much anything, but I don't want to gratuitously spam the inboxes
of the eight zillion busy people on these lists until I have something
useful to announce.

William