[Foundation-l] Encouraging participation

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 11:51:36 UTC 2010

I have found some of the suggestions for increasing participation
strange.  Wikipedia is not a MMORG, it is not a social networking
site, it is not a file/picture/video hosting service, it is an online
encyclopedia.  Some people like the first three.  However trying to
turn Wikipedia into a combination of them is not how we go about
writing an encyclopedia.  We need to attract people who are interested
in writing an encyclopedia and need to drive away / direct to the
appropriate venue those who are looking for something different.

My suggestion for increasing editor numbers would be to promote
Wikipedia at Universities.  McGill has a Wikipedia club.  Promoting
the formation of clubs at other Universities would have a positive
influence.  Currently most University students are female ( about 55%
) http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20091023110831548
however Asperger syndrome occurs 5 times more frequently in males than
females.  This might have something to do with the gender ratio we
see. :-)

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, B.Sc.