[Foundation-l] Where do our readers come from? Q&A

Joan Goma jrgoma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 07:48:28 UTC 2010

Details on how to measure it are relatively complex. We can make a guess
because of data collected from sources available for Catalan. My mail was
just to explain the phenomena.

Figures results from: a) Surveys. Last one answered by 400 Catalan Wikipedia
readers. We use results from answer to question about other language
versions frequently used. [1]  b) Most viewed pages in Spanish, French and
English not yet existing in Catalan.[2] c) % of visitors to web pages
exclusively in Catalan using web browser configured in other languages [3].
D) Own experiments with common searches in Google configuring the browser in
Catalan, French, Spanish, and English, and some final cooking. Result is
very approximate but gives us an idea about what is happening.

The bilingual factor is not negative. It apparently reduces hits to Catalan
pages but really it increases hits to non Catalan pages.

The factor due to inexistent or not well developed articles has to be
improved by growing the project.

The more frustrating one is the Google Factor, You can Google “Integral”
even with a Catalan configured navigator and you will get  the English
version first, then the Spanish one (witch is a translation from an old
Catalan version) both in first page but not find the Catalan one witch is
the larger of all before page 10. This article is a very special case due to
specific factors.

A technical solution would be great. And perhaps it is not of high
difficulty. We could guess languages from IP address and highlight interwiki
links to those languages.

[1]
http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viquip%C3%A8dia:Segon_sondeig_dels_usuaris/4._Utilitzeu_amb_freq%C3%BC%C3%A8ncia_alguna_altra_edici%C3%B3_de_la_Viquip%C3%A8dia%3F

[2]