[Foundation-l] video presentation on explicit images on WMF projects

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 00:55:07 UTC 2010

Nathan writes:

With respect, legal issues are debated on many projects practically
> every day. This particular issue is no different. In some
> jurisdictions, just accessing such files can expose one to legal risk.
> While Mike is a good lawyer, he doesn't represent individual editors -
> and the Foundation's interests and liabilities (as a host, not a
> content provider) may not fully intersect with the needs of individual
> editors.

Keep in mind, though, that PM is constantly asking for Foundation
intervention with regard to the images that he is so consistently reviewing
and concerned about. Why PM wants Foundation intervention rather than
community consensus is unclear to me -- it should be clear, however, that
the Foundation is disinclined to engage in editorial intervention in the
absence of a clear legal imperative.

With regard to the Foundation's legal obligations, I expect my colleagues at
the DOJ and elsewhere will contact me if they have a problem with Foundation
policies or operations.

--Mike