[Foundation-l] How to contact the foundation's legal department?

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 17:38:37 UTC 2010

Pedro-

Correct, it's just set up wrong on OTRS. Right now Legal@ is not even an OTRS email address. If it were, we could then structure it so the languages were subqueues. But that'd require legal@ becoming an OTRS email address.

Huib - The staff (myself and Jon) are saying two different, contradictory things.  We are trying to figure out if this is because of an undiscussed change of policy, or because Jon misspoke. It is of major concern, because if all legal emails are now going directly to the interim GC, then what is the point of having a legal queue for OTRS? But none of this was ever discussed with us, making me think that it is more likely just a mistake.  The policy as long as I've been answering emails for the legal queue (and to be clear, it was still the policy when I started working full time for the foundation and at a meeting about a month ago it was still the policy) was that legal emails were to go through OTRS, where they would be routed into the legal queue (more accurately, the legal-en queue. We also have a very full legal-it subqueue and some specific trademark subqueues.) Those emails would then be screened by the OTRS legal volunteers, and some would be answered or weeded out there. The more important ones would be forwarded on to the General Counsel (or now, Interim General Counsel). Why would it make sense at all to get rid of the screening on OTRS, without discussion with the OTRS team, and suddenly route ALL emails directly to the Interim General Counsel. Does that make any logical sense? Again, this is why I think that there has been a mistake somewhere.

We're emailing internally to figure out what the right answer is.

-Dan

(PS: this is my personal account, my staff account is not subscribed to foundation-l).