[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 07:48:44 UTC 2010

Gordon @ IA was most friendly and helpful.  archive-it is a
subscription service for focused collections of sites; he had a
different idea better suited to our work.

Gordon writes:
> Now, given the importance of Wikipedia and editorial significant of things
> it outlinks-to, perhaps we could set up something specially focused on its
> content (and the de facto stream of newly-occurring outlinks), that would
> require no conscious effort by editors but greatly increase the odds that
> anything linked from Wikipedia would (a few months down the line) also be
> in our Archive. Is there (or could there be) a feed of all outlinks that IA
> could crawl almost nonstop?

That sounds excellent to me, if possible (and I think close to what
emijrp had in mind!)  What would it take to produce such a feed?

SJ

PS - An aside: IA's policies include taking down any links on request,
so this would not be a foolproof archive, but a 99% one.