[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:32:00 UTC 2010

We need a trusted and reliable archiving project (and perhaps mirrors).
Webcite or Wikiwix can be great projects, but, how long will they be in the
web? Until 2012? 2015? 2020?

The average life of a website is 77 days[1], and we see dead links
everywhere in Wikipedia articles. This is a big problem, and not only for
Wikipedia, Internet builds and destroyes information too fast.

Internet Archive is a nonprofit foundation, and it is running since 1996, so
I think that it is a stable project and they are going to create mirrors in
more countries (now there is a mirror in Alexandria). But, of course,
Webcite or Wikiwix can help storing web copies (3 different archiving
projects are better than only 1).

Regards,
emijrp

[1] http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php