[Foundation-l] Push translation

Michael Galvez michaelcg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:32:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Michael Galvez, 05/08/2010 15:12:
> > Sorry for coming into this discussion a bit late.  I'm one of the members
> of
> > Google's translation team, and I wanted to make myself available for
> > feedback/questions.
>
> Thank you, you've explained some important things.
>
> > There is spell check in Translator Toolkit, although it's not available
> for
> > all languages.  We don't have any punctuation checks today and I doubt
> that
> > we can release this anytime soon.  (If it's not available in Google Docs
> or
> > Gmail, then it's unlikely that we'll have it for Translator Toolkit, as
> > well, since we use the same infrastructure.)
>
> What are supported languages? I see that OOo has some 100 dictionares
> (and some are really great).
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries

Here's the list of supported languages:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=19933.  Not sure
if the Gmail team can use those dictionaries but will pass on the link.

> Michael Galvez, 06/08/2010 19:47:
>  > 3. We acquire dictionaries on limited licenses from other parties.  In
>  > general, while we can surface this content on our own sites (e.g.,
> Google
>  > Translate, Google Dictionary, Google Translator Toolkit), we don't have
>  > permission to donate that data to other sites.
>
> I see (this is crucial).
> How many dictionaries did you acquire? Does this affect also "small"
> languages? What about out of print bilingual dictionaries (especially in
> "biggest" languages, where there are lots of them)? Do you acquire them
> on limited licenses, too, or you try to acquire them completely instead?

The languages for the acquired dictionaries are the one listed in
http://www.google.com/dictionary.  This includes monolingual and bilingual
dictionaries.  I believe all of them are on limited licenses, although the
specifics vary depending on the deal.