[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

Prodego prodego at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 23:54:36 UTC 2010

My opinion -

Once the information is published (by the WMF) you can do anything you want
with it, within the scope of what is legal. dewiki's privacy policy
isn't endorsed by the WMF, who run the site, and so I wouldn't consider it
binding in any way. They may choose to delete things that violate a
particular policy if you post it on dewiki, but that is true of many
policies. What matters is that the toolserver has an absolutely ridiculous
rule requiring that generating statistics about publicly available
information be opt in. I can't see how neglecting to do this could possibly
violate any laws, as some claim it would - but IANAL. However Wikimedia
Deutschland (wikimedia de, not dewiki) owns the toolserver, and they can
have whatever silly rules they want. The only issue is the replicated
database is accessible only from the toolserver. So there are two options -
1) donate a comparable server to the WMF and create another toolserver where
you control the rules or 2) complain to Wikimedia Deutschland, who run the
toolserver. Pavel Richter is the "managing director" of Wikimedia
Deutschland (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland#Mitarbeiter) - perhaps
contact him.

Prodego