[Foundation-l] FBI Seal and Wikimedia

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 22:39:30 UTC 2010

On 3 August 2010 13:54, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 August 2010 14:33, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3 August 2010 14:31, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/us/03fbi.html?hpw
> >> The FBI sent a cease & desist letter to the WMF demanding the removal
> >> of the FBI seal from the English Wikipedia; Mike replied with, in the
> >> words of the New York Times, "a primer on the law." Well done, Mike.
>
> > At least he didn't actually reference "Arkell v. Pressdram".
>

> He comes close, though. Do be sure to read the letter:
>

> http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/us/20100803-wiki-LetterToLarson.pdf
>

> - d.
>
> I can second that - that letter (in the above PDF link) is amusing as it is
well argued - A must read. Bravo Mike :-)

The story has now been picked up by other news agencies from the geeky
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100803/00013910465.shtml to the
mainstream http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10851394 all of which
pointing out this delightfully snarky letter. I for one discovered this
story not online but in reading the Sydney Morning Herald today which calls
it a "politely feisty response".

-Liam
Peace, Love and Metadata
wittylama.com/blog