[Foundation-l] Banner ads in sitenotice

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 18:17:36 UTC 2010

While I appreciate the comments about people being overly sensitive, I
do think it is still true that we should avoid unnecessary clutter.

With that in mind, I would like to mention that I don't really like
the big empty box approach.  On my screen it looks like the banner is
about 3.5 times the height of the text, and this feels rather
excessive to me.

It seems plausible to me that a bigger banner would have a higher
click-through rate, though I don't know of any Wikipedia specific
evidence to verify that.  Even if that is true though, presumably one
could have a smaller banner coupled to a longer campaign and
accomplish the same effect as a big banner with a shorter campaign.
Personally, I think it would feel less imposing and more friendly to
have a smaller banner than ran longer.

That's just my two cents.

-Robert Rohde