[Foundation-l] Copyrighted maps and Derived works from copyrighted sources.

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 08:57:57 UTC 2010

Hoi,
The COLLECTION of such facts is a work. A single fact is not a work. The
collection of single facts creates a new collection however, claiming
copyright because of it being expressed in a certain format is similar to
Microsoft claiming copyright to all MS/Word documents.

When an aggregation of data can be expressed in several file formats,
claiming exclusive copyright based on the result of one such format is not
only a travesty but also impossible to maintain. The fact that many of the
facts may have originated from the use of one application among others makes
it equally problematic for any of them to claim infringement on the terms of
use.

In my opinion this is just FUD.. Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Accepting such
restrictions based on sources that have no formal qualifications is imho
hare brained. A good counter example is the use of OpenStreetMap after the
Haiti disaster.. it is based on the same kinds of data that is put into
doubt in a different context.

Let me finish with a question, do you seriously consider that Google would
sue the Wikimedia Foundation for it having geo dat ???
Thanks,
     GerardM