[Foundation-l] (no subject)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:27:13 UTC 2009

2009/10/27 Mike.lifeguard <mike.lifeguard at gmail.com>:

> You are a long way from proving your point, but I would encourage you to
> make that request on the talk page of the CheckUser policy page on
> English Wikipedia so it can be pointed out that while there is a public
> request process, most requests are made in private, or done of a
> CheckUser's own volition. That is true, and it may be a worthwhile piece
> of information - though I can think of reasons the enwiki CUs may not
> want it included. If the public request process isn't necessary then
> they may be innundated with requests in private. The public process
> serves as a filter to keep away spurious requests. By not advertising
> it, private requests tend to be more reliable since it would be people
> "in the know" who would make those requests.

en:WP:RFCU was actually created to stop people bugging the checkusers
so much ;-)

Checks are done because of public requests, but also because (a)
there's an investigation by the arbcom and they want second or third
opinions or (b) because there's a cross-wiki vandal and so people
check on their local wiki as well. That's most of the cases on the
functionaries-en and checkuser-l lists.

- d.