[Foundation-l] Comparison of Chinese Wikipedia, Hudong and Baidu Baike

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Oct 22 19:48:39 UTC 2009

Apoc 2400 wrote:
> * They encourage rather than avoid the social networking and game-like
> aspects of the community. As the CNN article says, there are general
> chatrooms, friend functions, points, rankings etc.

Does any of this factor into the number of "entries" or other reported
data for Hudong and Baidu Baike? I'd like to have a better sense of
whether we're really getting an apples-to-apples comparison with
Wikipedia as an encyclopedia. It could have interesting implications,
either in terms of reconsidering how we interact as a community, or in
reconsidering whether these are really comparable sites.

--Michael Snow