[Foundation-l] Public release of Wikimedia Report Card

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Oct 10 01:28:41 UTC 2009

Erik Zachte, Data Analyst for the Wikimedia Foundation, has just
released the first official public version of the Wikimedia
Foundation's monthly report card on key program metrics. If you
haven't seen it, his blog post about it is here:
http://infodisiac.com/blog/2009/10/the-wikimedia-report-card/

And the public page is here:
http://stats.wikimedia.org/reportcard/

What's being tracked right now is the following:
* number of unique visitors to WMF projects according to comScore,
with breakdown by region, and the percentage reach this represents
among all Internet users;
* number of page requests according to our server log data, with
breakdown by language;
* comScore rank relative to other web properties (we can't release all
the data we have access to from comScore here);
* number of content objects (pages, binaries), with breakdown by
project for pages, and breakdown by filetype for binaries;
* participation rates: new pages per day, edits per month, new editors
per month, active editors making 5+ edits, very active editors making
100+ edits

We've used indexes as a tool to make trends easily understandable over
time -- see the "indexed" tabs in the different sections. The top left
of each section makes some key numbers easily accessible, e.g.
month-to-month comparisons and year-to-year comparisons.

The report card will continue to evolve in response primarily to the
Wikimedia Foundation's organizational priorities and needs - if we
have a specific project designed to achieve impact in one category,
we'll break out a section to look at it. And we're also hoping to have
higher level summary information. Feedback is very much welcome -
probably the best place to post it is in response to Erik's blog post
above so we have it all in one place. :-) Aside from feedback,
however, I also want to take this opportunity to praise Erik for all
his work over many months in putting this together, as well has his
ongoing work to release it on a regular basis.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation