[Foundation-l] Improving foundation-l

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 1 23:54:41 UTC 2009

Chad wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Anthony wrote:
>
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Improving_Foundation-l hasn't had any edits
>> in a couple weeks now.  Have we decided this isn't such a big problem after
>> all?  Have we given up?  Just waiting a few months for someone to post a
>> complaint so we can repeat this all over again?  Austin?  Ryan?  Anyone?
>>
> If I've noticed nothing else in the last 4 years, it's that Wikimedians
> have very short attention spans when it comes to these sorts of
> things. We all talk about our bright and shiny ideal future and throw
> around a few ideas. Someone starts a page (or an entire wiki) to
> discussing the issue. People edit briefly and furiously, then stop
> caring.

That sounds about right.  As one who finds that the operation of the
list is within tolerable limits I would just be adding to the noise if I
carried on about how it should be changed.

One irony that I've noticed is that it is often suggested that problems
on wiki should be solved on wiki and not on some mailing list.  Now, we
have a bit of a reversal. The perceived problem is with a mailing list;
by the same reasoning the solution to a perceived mailing list problem
should be on that list rather than on wiki.

I doubt that those who are only here as lurkers, and who could very well
be the ones most likely to unsubscribe because of the mail volume will
be any more willing to go to the meta page to add their opinions.  They
may not even be aware that the meta page exists unless they receive
periodic notification about it.

Ec