[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 31 21:01:50 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 4:42 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/5/31 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > I'm not sure we should waste everyone on this mailing list's time going
> > through the details and formulating a plan.  Let's take Tagalog.  We've
> got
> > 22 million native speakers, of which what % have internet access,
>
> 15% maybe?
>
> http://www.internetworldstats.com/asia.htm

That's Internet usage, not Internet access.  Considering that 60% of the
world uses cell phones (as in, has a subscription, those living in areas
covered by cell phone signals is presumably much higher), and only 25% uses
the Internet, apparently lack of Internet usage isn't due to an
infrastructural problem in most cases.  That's not to say that there isn't
an infrastructural problem in some cases.  In fact, those cases are probably
the ones we should be focusing on.

I've looked at bit and am having some trouble figuring out what percentage
of the world lives in a location (other than by personal preference) where
neither they nor someone nearby them can get Internet access.

But schools would not be the target in this case since most of the
> pupils likely have a reasonable grasp of english since that  is what
> some of the lessons are taught in:
>
> http://countrystudies.us/philippines/53.htm

What would you suggest for the target?