[Foundation-l] Licensing resolution

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat May 23 01:12:07 UTC 2009

2009/5/23 Mike.lifeguard <mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm>:

> I have been keeping an eye on what content got imported on English
> Wikibooks. If there has been anything imported from offsite GFDL-only
> sources I'm not aware of it. To be honest though, that's not saying much
> - we often have contributors bring us whole books they wrote elsewhere -
> but that's not a violation since they'd be the copyright holder and can
> relicense it however they want. I doubt there are any similar cases
> which do violate the terms, but I'd love some help checking that.

What are licensing requirements for Wikibooks and Wikisource? Did they
require GFDL or would any free license do, as is the case for Commons?

(I would have thought a freer choice of licenses would have been
feasible, since works are likely to stay separate. I'd have
particularly thought this the case for Wikisource.)

- d.