[Foundation-l] Call for volunteers: 2009-2010 Audit Committee

Stu West stu at wikimedia.org
Sun May 17 22:12:15 UTC 2009

As many of you know, the Foundation has an Audit Committee which
represents the Board in oversight of financial and accounting
issues, including planning, reporting, audits, and internal
controls (see http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Audit_committee
for details).  The Committee typically serves for one year,
starting in May/June and ending a year later when the Foundation
files its annual tax return in the U.S. (the IRS Form 990).  For
the past year, the committee has consisted of two Board members
(Michael Snow and me as Committee chair) and one long-serving and
incredibly helpful community member, Ad Huikeshoven.  We've
recently started forming the 2009-2010 Audit Committee, and the
current team has generously agreed to serve another year.

We are keenly interested in increasing community participation.
The time commitment is modest, as far as Wikimedia goes:  review
the Foundation's general financial practices and draft financial
statements/filings, and then participate in three or four
conference calls during the year with the staff and our
independent auditors, KPMG.  The one requirement for membership
is "financial literacy", usually some kind of professional
experience with finance, accounting or audit.

If you're interested in serving on the Committee, please email us
at audit-l <at> lists.wikimedia.org and let us know how you think
you could contribute.  Thanks.

-s

Stu West

Wikimedia Foundation