[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Thu May 14 22:17:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/14 Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com>:
>
>> I don't have much to add, but I want to voice my strong agreement.
>> Some sort of serious effort to reach out to the many users who don't
>> share the outlook of our more-libertarian-than-the-general-population
>> community is long overdue.
>

> Schools Wikipedia, or similar distributions.
>
> What you're talking about with "reach out" is limiting the contents of
> the live working site.

No, I'm talking about something like actively including meta-data that
would make possible filtered.en.wikipedia.org or the like (as Robert
Rohde described), not imposing any limits on the way readers currently
view Wikipedia.

In fact, it wouldn't even have to be directly incorporated into
editing; it could be a separate layer of meta-data, such that all the
filtering happens through a "flag offensive content" interface at the
filtered wikipedia site; users interested in a filtered site would do
all the flagging and it could even be fine-grained so that
objectionable content could be sorted by type.  So, for example, the
pearl necklace photo would get flagged as sexual, Muhammad cartoons
would be flagged as Islam-related, etc.

-Sage