[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:44:45 UTC 2009

2009/5/4 Thomas de Souza Buckup <thomasdesouzabuckup at gmail.com>:
> 4. Sustainability. The goal of this Working Group will be to make sure the
> Wikimedia movement can reach its vision in a sustainable way. It could
> answer important sub-group questions like:
> *How to sustain Wikimedia services and data across any major situation?
> *How to start new valuable projects to cover other parts of human knowledge?
> *How to promote innovation within our network?
> *How to support the development of new significant tools and services?
> *How to organize the structure of the Wikimedia movement?
> *How to sustain the financial needs of the Wikimedia movement?

Those are certainly important questions. There is some overlap with
the other groups (sustaining participation could go under either
sustainability or participation, for example), but that is always
going to be the case. I think it is worth considering this as a
separate area. At the very least, financial sustainability needs to be
considered, without that the rest of the strategy is pointless.