[Foundation-l] Introducing our Usability Team

Naoko Komura nkomura at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 4 00:52:18 UTC 2009

Please join me welcoming the new members of the Usability Project Team.

Arash Boostani, a fourteen-year tech-veteran from Genentech, has joined
the project team as a Senior Software Developer.  Arash also previously
directed the development team of an environmental non-profit directory
service called WiserEarth, which runs on collaborative software similar
to MediaWiki.  At WiserEarth, Arash led the way in making the software
available as open-source software for the development community.

As of February 1st, Trevor Parscal was internally transferred from the
Wikimedia tech team to the position of Software Developer on the
Usability project.  Trevor has over eight years experience as an
independent consultant in both software development and user interface
design.  After joining WMF, Trevor worked on data center management
tools, amongst other development projects.

Parul Vora, a former resident designer of the Design Innovation Team at
Yahoo! (Yhaus) and researcher at Yahoo! Research Berkeley, joined the
team.  Parul brings a unique combined talent of user experience
research, design, and technology to the team.  She has worked on various
research and design projects such as experimental information interfaces
and an event-based media sharing application. At Intel Research Labs,
she researched open-source physical computing platforms, their sensors
and actuators, and visual programming languages for mobile phone platforms.

We are currently interviewing candidates for the second software
developer position.

It is my honor and privilege to work with Arash, Trevor and Parul on the
Wikipedia Usability Initiative. I am excited to have the mixture of
great talents on the team.

Naoko Komura

Program Manager
Wikimedia Foundation