[Foundation-l] Info/Law blog: Using Wikisource as an Alternative Open Access Repository for Legal Scholarship

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 01:15:56 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:
> (although I still haven't seen the WMF step up
> to the plate and make it easy for people to make a full history fork, or
> even to download all the images)

You'll find full history dumps of almost all wikis at
http://download.wikimedia.org/

Although not trivial, downloading all images is in fact quite easy. You
can find scripts to do that already made. You can also ask Brion to
rsync3 them.
But do you have enough space to dedicate?
How many wikis do you want to mirror? Just commons is more than 3 TB...

That's the reason so few people were interested in the images when the
image dump was available.