[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Commons: Service project or not?

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Jun 16 19:22:51 UTC 2009

> I don't think the problem will be with the big projects, there are a lot
> of people who can speak the language.. The small wiki's are the most
> difficult and Commons isn't ready to handle them in a good way. It would
> be best if Commons had two admins for every language instead of none for
> some languages.
>
> Huib

Huib, but is it really a problem? I thought that actually on bigger wikis
there are users who only speak their own language and are not keen to go
through the interface of Commons and explain their problems to the Commons
admins in the case of misunderstanding. But communities on small wikis
always speak some of the bigger languages, like in Chavash wiki everybody
speaks Russian, on Gaelic and Marathi - English, on Kechua - Spanish and
so on. It would be nice of course to have all translations like Testwiki,
but I think at this point five to ten bigger languages would suffice.

Cheers
Yaroslav