[Foundation-l] China Requires Censoring Software on New PCs

Chen Minqi cnchenminqi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 01:31:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> We have been talking about how we survived being blocked by the Chinese
> government during the last June 4th ban but now this is on the table. We
> have to see how this will now affect us.

AFAIK, the software [1] they may use, does not block Wikipedia yet. I think
it follows the same policy as the national firewall. Wikimedia Projects seem
to enjoy 'special treatment' in China since Jimbo met the deputy director of
the State Council Information Office of PRC, Cai Mingzhao last year. I
believe that meeting helped wikipedia to survive during these sensitive
dates.

----
[1]. http://www.lssw365.net/

User:Bencmq