[Foundation-l] Wikipedia tracks user behaviour via third party companies #2

Brian Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 6 18:28:17 UTC 2009

I also have not seen a clear explanation of what those who would like to
generate statistics using web bugs plan to do with that data. How do they
plan to use the data, and why aren't the plethora of statistics now made
officially available by the WMF not satisfactory?

You have bypassed the correct procedure. The amount of time that it takes
the WMF to accomplish goals can be frustrating. Getting them to make your
goal their goal can be frustrating. But it all has to start with you
presenting them with a coherent goal that takes all the constraints into
account. Then you need to get WMF approval which often involves getting
community approval.

Let's be clear that the privacy policy is a legal issue for the WMF.
Volunteer admins cannot take user privacy into their own hands, under their
own interpretation. That's just not how it works!