[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:02:24 UTC 2009

Hello,

> So let us be realistic.. Even in Wikipedia you will not have
> thousands of
> people editing *at the same time* in a document.

But documents have tens of thousands of revisions, still.

>  In your reply you mention javascript, is that based on reading
> about the "embed" API ??

um, did html5 already get <wave> tag? :-)

> I think that the relevant protocols are peer to
> peer and XML..

XMPP (aka Jabber) with 'operational transformation' streams of events
(read, lots of micro-diffs).

> Indeed a computer does not have an endless supply of CPU or
> memory but your computer talks to your wave server..

And yet, does have to handle all the revision history in javascript. :)

> and your wave server
> talks to wave servers peered in the conversation.. Indeed it sounds
> like
> fun, but I do not want to deprive the foundation-l of all the fun.

*shrug*, "peered", but still you have to maintain central authority
for certain 'waves'.
it isn't magic 'peer to peer cloud' thing. it is just protocol, that
allows federation.

on the other hand, federation doesn't always work well, when you have
to do operations on vast sets of data.

> In the mean time, can you get us access to the Wave environment? I
> would
> appreciate such a positive gesture :)

Unfortunately, your appreciation does not sum up well with the other
wave motivation (which is at around zero at the moment).

Cheers,
Domas