[Foundation-l] LiquidThreads almost ready for deployment

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 06:36:30 UTC 2009

I did not write that, except for the final sentence--The rest was  an
earlier comment by someone who actually knows programming, not my
elementary awareness of html and the rudiments of regular expressions.
 The only software I've ever developed is some VBA macros for Excel.

I was saying that just the most elementary knowledge is enough for
talk pages. Of all the parts of Wikipedia syntax, it's the easiest.
The problems for users in learning things is elsewhere. Even things I
do know how to use, like the cite templates or tables, I find too
complicated to bother with. What I think the usability studies show to
be the hardest--and also my own experience teaching raw beginners--,
is figuring just how to edit in the first place.  We think we made it
easy, but they still don;t find it.

As for keeping track of discussions generally, the exchanges here show
the difficulties, and this one is as good an example as any for how
easily it is to get confused (in this case I think what did it is
other comments coming between what I was answering and my own
reply--the same problems  as caused by edit conflicts. I'm not sure
there is any way to sort it out when a number of people are talking
about the same thing at the same time.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.