[Foundation-l] LiquidThreads almost ready for deployment

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Dec 19 18:17:40 UTC 2009

On 12/19/2009 09:25 AM, Teofilo wrote:
> Wiki talk pages as they are now are good. Don't kill them.

Having not used LiquidThreads yet, I can't speak to your experience with
it. But the existing discussion system is a usability nightmare.

As a software developer, I'm perfectly comfortable dealing with its dark
mysteries. I've spent tens of thousands of hours typing mysterious codes
into giant files interpreted by unforgiving machines. But for the 98% of
humanity that doesn't have much technical background, our discussion
system comes across as somewhere between perplexing and actively hostile.

For proof, just look at how many software packages have copied our
approach to discussions. As far as I know, the number is zero. The
common solutions seen in forums, blogs, and community sites across the
internet have a lot in common with one another, and are rightly nothing
like what we have.

I have no idea whether LiquidThreads is the right solution, but if we
want to broaden participation, increase the number of active editors,
and improve our image, we definitely need something better than what we
have. Hopefully we can do that in a way that keeps the benefits of the
current system, but I think it's vital to mitigate the many and glaring
current flaws.

William