[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:13:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 23:00, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed; and arguably Craig Newmark is much, much more famous in San
> Francisco (where he's a local celeb) than he would be pretty much
> anywhere else. That might be part of the issue here. If you know who
> he is in the SF-tech-community-philanthropy context, it might strike
> you as more of a clear use of his good name to generously support a
> cool project. If you don't, it might look like more of a clear
> advertisement for Craigslist.

Yes, that would be my main "criticism" about this all. Not that I
think it's advertising, but I think Greg mentionned it earlier in the
thread, rather that Craigslist has probably an audience that (apart
from being centered in the US, SF etc.) has a lot in common to our
contributing community. ie. people who already have desactivated the
site notice long ago ;)

> Regardless this is basically the same debate we had over Virgin Unite
> -- the name of any commercial organization (and probably any other
> nonprofit organization, too, if we're honest with ourselves) being
> displayed on the site provokes intense dislike and debate among a
> large section of the community -- for various reasons, but mostly
> summarized as we don't want to use the resources of Wikipedia to
> advocate or advertise for another organization.

Sooo true. Parochialists, are we? :D

Delphine
--
~notafish