[Foundation-l] advertising craigslist

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 17:42:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 16:47, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> Craig Newmark has around  300K google results. Jimbo is at half a
> million. Craigslist is at about 65 million wikipedia is at about 300
> million. For groups that almost entirely exist online that's a fair
> solid way of showing which is more significant. In terms of using fame
> to push us forwards about the only web company owners who might be
> able to do that would be  Mark Zuckerberg and google's co-founders.
> And no they wouldn't be a good idea either.
>
> Craigslist has some PR problems at the moment what with all the scams
> and the various law enforcement agencies objecting to some of their
> personal ads. Associating with a project with some of the most
> titanium hardened community driven altruism credentials on the web is
> a valid strategy for trying to return to the image they like to
> maintain.

Just so I understand your argument. Were Jimmy Wales to lend his name
and good will to support a cause {insert here name of noble cause you
believe in}, I suppose you would summarize his help as "oh, he's
trying to get his company to get a better image"? Wait, I'm probably
starting a troll here. Replace Jimmy Wales with "whatever known
person" you can think of.

Did it ever occur to you that real people _aren't_ the company they
founded/bought/are taking care of?

And whether it is Craig Newmark, the Dalai Lama, the Pope or my
neighbours, if their "supporting" a good cause actually works and
money comes in and awareness rises, frankly, I say "go ahead" and
"thanks for all your help".

Geez,

Delphine

--