[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Secret Santa!

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:51:15 UTC 2009

Hello Wikimedians,

Austin and I thought it might be fun to have a Secret Santa New Year's
drawing among Wikimedia friends! We're basing it on the MetaFilter
community Secret Santa drawing, which has 256 participants and uses a
website called Elfster.

Totally optional of course, but totally fun to get random things in
the mail from other community members.

Here's the link to sign up and join the group, if you want to participate:
http://www.elfster.com/apps/exchange/Join.aspx?euid=D78EF055-CF27-4E8F-8E29-205AE28927F6

How it works:

* Sign up at Elfster by Saturday, December 19 if you want to
participate. This part is important -- we'll do the automagical
drawing that day. Don't forget to add your address! (address settings
are under "you" on the site; only the person who draws your name will
be able to see your mailing address. But do remember that if you want
to participate, you'll have to make your postal address available to
at least one other person. The name you register with is visible to
other group members, but not email.)

* Elfster sends you the name of your secret santa recipient (from
"santa at elfster.com")

* buy, make or find a gift -- price guideline $10ish or less
(+postage); it's just a guideline but don't go crazy. Small gifts are
fine.

* the deadline to get your present to your recipient is Saturday,
January 16th (since we're starting so late -- and yes, the
international mail will have delays).

Happy New Years!
-- Phoebe and Austin