[Foundation-l] Omidyar Network Commits $2 Million Grant to Wikimedia Foundation

Joshua Gay joshuagay at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 07:23:46 UTC 2009

When Matt Halprin is on the board of Wikimedia, he is doing his job for
Omidyar Network. So, when we read, a statement like:

> [Matt Halprin] has important nonprofit experience, serving on the boards of
> organizations like DonorsChoose.org and the Sunlight Foundation.

Just remember that he was put on the board of Sunlight Foundation it was the
same day ON cut them a check for $2M [1], and similarly, although he is on
the board of DonorsChoose, ON has given them over $6M so far [2].

I think it's good to remember that when he makes vote on the board of WM, he
is doing so with as much interesest in his role as board member as he is in
his roll at ON, which is to lead their Media, Markets & Transparency
initiative [3]. Within those three, Wikimedia is considered to be a "Social
Media," investment, and the goal that ON is tryign to achieving in investing
in these kinds of initiatives is to:

"We aspire to amplify the transformative character of social media and
facilitate the creation, discovery, and distribution of trustworthy
information and original content. We hope to enable more individuals to
express themselves, make more informed decisions, connect with others, and
take action on what matters to them." [4]

So, yes, I think ON has bought a seat on the board, and I even think that it
is likely that Matt personally orchestrated that it. But, taking a big step
back, I also really trust the ON and I think the choices Matt has made on
their behalf over the past year or so have been really smart decisions. I
think he'll bring a lot to the board and I hope that this will be the start
of a beautiful relationship for the ON and WM foundation.

Best of luck to everyone!