[Foundation-l] New projects opened

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:33:34 UTC 2009

Hoi,
The only relevant local localisations are the ones that provide specific
information about that project. All the other localisations are suspect
because they often no longer reflect the original message. Regularly
messages change their text, add parameters, are using new
internationalisation features and without the FUZZY mechanism employed at
translatewiki.net there is no way that you are even aware of this.

Local localisations do not deserve consideration and the only reason why
they should not have been removed and outlawed is that we do not have a
mechanism yet to bring you new localisations in a timely manner. When the
LocalisationUpdate extension is finally activated for all the wikis of the
Wikimedia Foundation there is no longer a valid reason to localise locally
for standard messages.

Translatewiki.net allows you to proof read your localisations, so I urge you
to work on the quality of your localisations and do it where this effort
makes the biggest difference.
Thanks,
      GerardM