[Foundation-l] Board statement regarding biographies of living people

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 17:02:18 UTC 2009

Hi!

Sorry for late answer - I visited the offline world (it had awesome
mountains with snowcaps, sky-blue oceans and tulip fields ;-)

> So, the "community" is urged to do this work at the request of the
> Board,
> but the
> Board itself is going to do virtually nothing (other than this
> collection of
> words
> that urges the community to work harder) to strengthen the
> commitment to
> high-quality, accurate information.

Do note, exercising any kind of authority over community is very
strong step.
Board does not rule the community, we work on facilitating the
community.

> How many Board members were in attendance in Berlin, and what was
> the mean
> travel distance of the Board attendees for this excursion?

I have difficulty seeing why this question is important, but can sure
answer it, just let me clarify a bit.

excursion |ɪkˈskəːʃ(ə)n| |ɛk-|noun
1 a short journey or trip, esp. one engaged in as a leisure activity

I really cannot classify any of board meetings as 'leisure' - they're
usually quite intense days (don't forget the jetlag our global
commitments bring in :)
In this particular trip the agenda was combined with chapters meeting
agenda, tech team meetings, also meeting local communities.
I cannot call it leisure, it is way more intense than my day job (oh,
and vacation time is used ;-)

By using such words you seem to be antagonizing the organization and
the work that is being done, and therefore either you're a troll, or
you just genuinely do not understand the work everyone around is
doing, and see just your own agenda.

Anyway, back to the Berlin meeting. Average travel distance for board
members was (pardon the metric) ~5000km (for three members it was
below 1000km) - and whole board was attending the meeting.
Sometimes meetings involve meeting quite some staff, as their feedback
is extremely valuable in certain topics too, so usually meetings
happen in SF.
In this case, as I mentioned above, nearly (over?) 100 community
members were met overall - so if we'd include that, the mean travel
distance would be way way lower - and the value of the meeting was
extremely high.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity, and also I hope next time you'll
be more polite and careful picking your words. Thanks! :)

BR,
--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]