[Foundation-l] Problems with the new license TOS

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 17:37:11 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 4/17/09, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> In any case, this proposal certainly *will* undermine the
> individual right
> to attribution held by individual contributors, so anyone
> who supports that
> right *should* vote against the proposal or refuse to vote
> at all.  If you
> want to nitpick whether or not this is indisputable, fine,
> I'll let you have
> your way.  But indisputable or not, it is a true
> fact.

Personally I don't think this proposal really changes anything significant in that regard.  I think the our attribution model is inadequate and always has been.  I don't think making this inadequacy more public than it has been in the past is a significant change..  I have confidence that someday we will switch to a better attribution model and that it will then be possible to migrate old edits to that model.  I supported the change of license even though it not address my attribution concerns, because the change itself does not create these concerns.  Trying to hold up the license change in an attempt to leverage proponents of CC-by-SA to address long-standing attribution inadequacies does not appeal to me.  I cannot agree that vote for a change in licensing can be interpreted as support for the current attribution model.  It only means you believe the change in licensing is a net benefit over no change.

Birgitte SB