[Foundation-l] Interview: Wikipedia usability and test results

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Thu Apr 2 00:10:31 UTC 2009

Aryeh Gregor hett schreven:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org> wrote:
>
>> Harsh critic, isn't it? There are two interpretations possible now: a)
>> All those critics are dicks. b) You did something that is indeed critizable.
>>

> "All those critics" being you and . . . who else, again?
>
> Part of being on an international list is having to deal with other
> cultural groups' customs, such as April Fools' Day.

Ziko cross-posted his "joke" on several lists and on the wiki and got
critic on several of them. If you want names: Marcela, Janneman,
Phantom, Southpark for example. Look at the list:
"culture-imperialistic, spamming garbage, confusing the newbies, making
jokes about real dangers, making jokes about disabled people, and
unwitty". The only thing, that I accused him of (at least I used the
word, alhough not explicitly in his direction) was cultural imperialism.

Fools' days are actually an ethnographic category. There are several
time periods in different cultures at which making fun of others is
common. Most of the Western world has April 1 as fools' day, the
Spanish-speaking world, as Pedro mentioned, knows December 28, somebody
mentioned the Yiddish Purim torah, Denmark knows the Majkat on April 30
and May 1 and there are several other occasions in other cultures. Would
you like to be fooled on all of them?

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox