[Foundation-l] Encarta is dead

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Apr 1 04:14:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Then I also ask myself in how far this evolution is to be credited mainly
> Wikipedia, or has it been "the Internet" in general that killed the
> dead-tree-encyclopedias.

The personal computer killed the dead-tree encyclopedia.  But Encarta wasn't
a dead-tree encyclopedia.

Whether Wikipedia, the Internet, or something else, killed the commercial
encyclopedia, is a more interesting question.  Maybe the US Department of
Justice's Antitrust Division will look into that one.  Hah, just kidding.
The whole purpose of the US Department of Justice's Antitrust Division is to
kill commerce.