[Foundation-l] Klassical Chinese

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 17:46:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:17 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/8 Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu>:
>> I hope you don't think that people are contirbuting to English Wikipedia
>> solely so that they could practice their English.
>
> It does appear to be a motivating factor in some cases.

That was the primary reason I joined wikibooks in the first place: To
improve my writing skills and to increase my own understanding of the
topics I was writing about. They say the best way to learn is to
teach, and I suspect that's a motivation for many people to
participate in these projects.

On a related note, I've heard tales of language classes (teaching
spanish to native english speakers, as an example) assigning writing
assignments on various wikipedias or wikibooks as practice. I can't
source this statement, but i've heard rumors about it in the past.
Either way, I certainly wouldn't discount the idea.

--Andrew Whitworth