[Foundation-l] What's appropriate attribution?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:40:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>> And *I* just checked that, and there are in fact 4077 authors (2100 IP
>> addresses) for [[France]] on en:wp currently, according to
>> http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl. This whole argument
>> is off by an order of magnitude if you assume that only 1 in 4 authors
>> is significant.
>

> Seems like a poor assumption, considering more than half of the authors are
> essentially anonymous.  I'd bet that less than 250 of those authors are
> significant.

I'd be surprised if it were even that many.  Significant at some point
in time, yes, but for any particular version?

More importantly:  You've picked a extreme corner case. Extreme corner
cases shouldn't be neglected completely, but they are bad places to
start policy discussions. The overwhelming majority of WP articles are
very few authors and even fairly few accounts who have edited them.