[Foundation-l] On Arabic and sub-language proposals.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 11 08:09:14 UTC 2008

Muhammad Alsebaey wrote:
> It is not a political stand that the first body of written non-fiction work
> published in Egyptian Arabic will be on Wikipedia? I said before that there
> is an ongoing debate in Egypt about the adoption of Egyptian Arabic as
> written in addition to being spoken in order to bolster the national
> identity of Egypt. This debate is currently dead in the water AFAIK, with a
> lot of argument going for and against. Wikipedia hosting the first
> non-fiction written work *is* a political stand in this debate IMHO.

Of course the process is political.  There's nothing wrong with that.
Every time two or more people differ on some issue, deciding that issue
requires political interaction, whether it's choosing between the
opinions offered or synthesizing a new compromise position.  Politics is
not just partisan activity connected with established ideologies, though
politicians umbilically associated with such ideologies are the ones who
give politics a bad name.

Using "too political" as an excuse for not participating in the debates
of the day is itself a political act.

Ec