[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:04:43 UTC 2008

Please, speak for yourself :) I *do* care, and if there is an easy and
definite solution, I'd love to embrace it. I think we should care about our
little siblings, about the smaller languages as we call them, and support
them if possible. I can only hope you were being extremely ironic :)

Because bear in mind, especially in those languages, a complemented work of
human knowledge really adds something. In the large languages, we already
had encyclopediae and dictionaries of good quality. Wikipedia is better
sure, and has improved our lives. But now just imagine that you are living
in Botswana, and on school (if you're lucky) there is very little material
available... and now there is an encyclopedia... In YOUR language! Even if
it only contains 1000 articles, you can already learn a lot from it. You can
improve your knowledge, and increase the odds in competition with the
western world. It won't do miracles of course, but every tiny little bit
helps.

And now imagine that this goes for all languages. And not only
encyclopediae, but also learning books, dictionaries and perhaps one day
even other collections. Wikipedia *does* make a difference. (and I'd almost
add: donate now ;-) )

Best regards,

Lodewijk