[Foundation-l] Trademarks

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:54:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
[snip]
> In fact, I haven't yet formed an opinion
> on how free speech issues apply to trademark law.
[snip]

I think it's helpful to consider a pair of somewhat tangential questions:

"Is it a violation of your right to free speech that you can't write
me contract to sell me the brooklyn bridge, as you do not own it, with
impunity?"

"Is it a violation of your right to free speech that I have chosen not
appoint you as my personal spokesperson, authorized to represent me to
the general public?"

Take some time and consider these carefully. I believe it will provide
you with insights on trademarks and free speech.

Cheers.