[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 21:03:15 UTC 2008

Ah - I was told that ru.wikibooks did not have the banner because all
banners there were disabled.

Thank you to everyone else who commented. I suppose I wasn't "plugged-in"
enough last time around to get a full sense of the reaction to the banner -
I remember some negative reactions, but not on the level I've seen so far.
Given your answers, and particularly the statistics on donations so far, it
does seem like the positive reaction outweighs any potential negative.

I hope that the folks who are vocal about not donating to the WMF and why
are met, as often as possible, with counter-arguments about why they should
and why others should as well. I'm concerned that when that doesn't happen,
it makes other current Wikimedians have less confidence in the Foundation
and also makes them less likely to personally donate.

Nathan

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate