[Foundation-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:42:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/7 Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
>
>> Though, Is it really desirable to make the message dismissible for anons?
>
> If it's a cookie, presumably that means it'll only be dismissed for
> that reader (and anyone else on the same machine). If they've taken
> the time to read the banner enough to see a [dismiss] button, they've
> probably taken it in - after all, most of us don't scan banner ads for
> "go away now" buttons normally!

I dunno, with dismissible watchlist notices I often dismiss them then
wish I could get them back later. Perhaps I'm weird (though I also
know enough to flush the cookie).

I thought part of the point of the big persistent banner was that
after someone has seen it a few dozen times they'll eventually click
through to see what it's about. ::shrugs::