[Foundation-l] Regarding the Fundraising Banner

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Wed Nov 5 23:04:38 UTC 2008

Erik Moeller schreef:
[cut]
> However, if we feel (or measure) that a banner will significantly
> reduce the number of donations received, we will not use it. So if
[cut]

about reducing the number of donations;

So far I can see is the main donation page ...

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate/Now/en

... in all languages a plain translation of the EN donation page.

The commonly used way of payment differs from place to place. In some
country's people are almost born with a credit card in there pocket. In
other places a credit card is not used a lot and do most people do not
like to use it online if the have it.

In some country's the still use a lot cheques, in other country's many
people do not know anymore what that is because the are virtually exstinct.

My point is that by only translating but not localizing you have losses
of donations because the most suitable donation channel is not presented
clearly and potential donateurs can get driven away by the huge emphasis
 on "Donate by credit card".

Walter

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community