[Foundation-l] "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 5 10:44:41 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Dan Rosenthal
>>
>>> WM Canada has been "finishing up by-laws" since March.
>>>
>> Yes. I happen to be on the wikimedia-canada list and, from what I see
>> there, not all too much is going on. See, there is a limited amount of
>> things Chapcom can do: We're always happy to help with advice, and
>> yes, we might need to get more proactive, but we can't "replace a
>> community". Either people are there and willing to do this or they
>> aren0t.
>>
> Nobody's suggesting replacing an community. But what has ChapCom done
> to proactively find out where the WMF Canada chapter is currently at,
> what help they need, what ChapCom can do to speed things up etc?

I had a basic draft of Canadian by-laws at the end of 2007 on Meta,
hoping thar there could be feedback and a consensus built from there.
Instead a self-appointed Ontario steering committee of clueless
dilletantes decided to hijack the process, and write their own by-laws
in a series of chat-room meetings.  Their last such meeting was on May
21  I commented extensively at [[meta:Talk:Wikimedia Canada/Proposed
by-laws]] in August, but have not received a single response to these
comment.

The only conclusion that I can draw from that is that during their
school holidays they lost interest.  For a Canadian chapter in-person
meetings are mostly impractical, and while there may be some value to an
organizational meeting that brings people together from across the
country the homework of getting together by-laws with a modicum of
acceptibility needs to be done before that.

Ec