[Foundation-l] GFDL 1.3 Release

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 02:28:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> So if the community decides dual-licensing is dumb, is that the end of
> it?  GFDL Forever?

In the case that the community says so, then we probably would be
stuck forever, yes. However, I have a hard time seeing that the
community would be against it, unless some huge fly was found in the
ointment that nobody's thought about yet.

I know that the en.wikibooks community has been begging for this for a
while, going so far as to try a homebrew dual-licensing scheme on a
per-book basis. Needless to say it didn't work out well, but there is
still plenty of sentiment that this is a way we want to go as a
community. I know other communities have had plenty of complaints
about interoperability with CC-BY-SA content as well, and I can't
imagine that nit-pickery from the habitual naysayers is going to stop
this train.

If I were a betting man, I would put my money on some kind of
migration being approved and implemented before August 2009,
especially if the community at large is given a fair say on the issue.

--Andrew Whitworth