[Foundation-l] Social networking (was: Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:31:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:18 PM, David Moran <fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  What we SHOULD be
> talking about is not social media, but more robust tutorials and
> walkthroughs for new users as they go through their first edits, and their
> first created articles, &c.

I agree.

And moreover,  this is important because *quality* not *quantity* is
what we should be most concerned about.   With umpteen million
articles in across many languages Wikipedia has already reached
"mission accomplished" level from a pure quantity measure.

Making it easier to contribute won't just help quantity, it will help
quality by reducing some forms of bias, and bringing in a broader
range of knowledge.  If Wikipedia is only easy for techno-geeks then
editors will be mostly techno-geeks, and their edits may not
representative. (The [[Warp drive]] vs [[Ice pick]] effect).