[Foundation-l] Social networking (was: Analysis of lists statistics: community in decline)

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:20:20 UTC 2008

2008/11/4 Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What do people think of the idea of asking the "social networking"
>> type *communication* extensions to be enabled on meta?
>>
>> I was thinking about this, and talking to Gerard, and he pointed out
>> that unless it was integrated into MediaWiki most people wouldn't use
>> it, and I think he is probably right.
>>
>> Meta makes the most sense, since it is already supposed to be used for
>> coordination, and maybe if it has some extra functionality that will
>> even encourage people to use it more.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Brianna
>>

> Do we actually WANT people use it? The argument goes that the more they
> (we) use it, the less they (we) have time for writing articles.

I think that is a false argument. If people don't want to write
articles, they won't write articles, regardless of whether or not you
take away their toys. Cracking the whip doesn't mean much to
volunteers. I also think such people are far less likely to make it to
meta, compared to a large Wikipedia project. If you know about meta, I
would say odds are extremely good that you are a Wikimedian.

And it does depend if you consider them "toys" or "communication
tools". If you don't want to use them in a "frivolous" way (or at all)
then fine, don't. None of your time will be wasted.

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/